8 chicken drumsticks (1.8 lbs), chopped (or whole)
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup rice cooking wine or Shaoxing rice wine
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1 Tablespoon rock sugar (raw cane sugar) 黃冰糖
1 oz ginger, peeled & thinly sliced
14 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
3 dried Chinese red chili
1/2 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
10 – 16 fresh Thai basil leaves (optional)
1. Peel and thinly slice the ginger. Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
2. Chop the drumsticks in pieces
3. Set Instant Pot to saute, and saute the ginger and garlic in 1/4 cup of sesame oil for 30 seconds (until fragrant).
4. Add in the chicken, 3 dried Chinese red chili, and 1 tablespoon rock sugar. Saute for 3 minutes.
5. Pour in 1/4 cup of rice cooking wine, and let boil for a minute to evaporate some of the alcohol.
6. Add 1/4 cup of light soy sauce.
7. Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 6 minutes + 10 minutes natural release. If using whole drumsticks, high pressure for 8 minutes + 10 minute NPR.
8. Remove lid, and place chicken pieces in large serving bowl.
9. Press saute button, and bring sauce back to boil. Add about 1/2 tablespoon dark sauce to give color, and sweeten.
10. Taste the sauce, and adjust with more light soy sauce if needed.
11. Stir in 10-16 fresh Thai basil leaves.
12. Pour the sauce into the bowl with chicken. Mix well.
13. Serve immediately with rice.