This is not an everyday dish, because it takes a lot of prep and cooking time.
- 1.5 lb of beef short ribs (about 6 pieces)
- 12 cups of water
- 1 small Korean radish (mu), about 1 lb.
- 1 small onion
- 8 cloves of peeled garlic (one head)
- 3 thin ginger slices
- 4-6 green onions
- Seasoning for broth (mushroom powder, salt, chicken bullion)
- Soak ribs in cold water for about an hour to remove residual blood and bone fragments (traditionally soaked 8-10 hrs)
- Drain ribs, and blanch in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Strain the ribs in the sink, and wash each one thoroughly, removing any visible fat. Clean the pot, too.
- Put clean ribs in the pot, and add radish, onion, garlic, ginger, and 12 cups water
- Boil over medium high heat, for 30 minutes to draw flavor from meat
- Cover and simmer for another 90 minutes. After the first hour, remove and discard veggies; except the radish. Season broth to taste.
- Dice up the radish, as broth continues to simmer.
- When soup is done, ladle ribs and broth over diced radish.